Monday, November 26, 2012

On-Site Stress Support Groups

Chapter 15 presents performance support systems. Define performance support systems and explain how a performance support system might (or might not) help solve the problem you identified above.
 

Performance support systems are practical, individualized, ever-available helps for a person to do their job effectively and add the most value to their system.  A performance support system could possibly help improve teacher motivation, especially if it helps with stress management.  Also, teachers will need stress-management support at the campus level so that they are able to feel as if someone can identify with their struggles and offer practical, tried-and-true solutions. According to our text, providing help “at the point of need” is a crucial component of effective performance support.  On-site stress management experts would be able to intervene before stress levels became excessive.

1 comment:

  1. I have found it so helpful to have a mentor teacher who has taught the same curriculum and grade level that I teach. Knowing she has walked the road before and can relate to the cheers and frustrations is a huge benefit to me, even on the days that I just need a sounding board. I have a fantastic team and there are plenty of things that we can relate to across curriculum, but there is nothing like having the support of someone who sees things from the microscope that I look through in math. My language arts colleagues see students in that light and my science colleagues see students in that light. We all "see" a different student in our classroom based on the style of our classroom, the curriculum, the time of days, etc. Having the support of a teacher who understands my perspective is the best support system I know of!

    ReplyDelete