Sunday, December 9, 2012

What do I want to be when I grow up?


Section 6: Getting an IDT Position and Succeeding at It

 

This section of your textbook focuses on jobs in the profession of instructional design and technology: lessons and tips on how to get one and organizations that can support the job search and continued learning in the IDT field. Many of you already have a job in the field or in a related field; however, based on this week’s readings, you’ll reflect on where you are, where you want to go, and what you need to learn or do to get there.

 

1.    Begin your post for this week with some background: what is your current job, what program are you enrolled in, what brings you to that program, and what do you expect when you graduate (change jobs? obtain a promotion?).

 

I am currently the Robotics/Technology Teacher at the Barack Obama Male Leadership Academy in Dallas ISD.  I’m new to the content, so I joined the Educational Technology-Leadership M.Ed. program simply to become a subject matter expert to improve the quality of my instruction.  In two classes, I’ve already learned many valuable techniques and approaches as well as increased my technical know-how.

 

This chapter allows us to stop for a second and ponder the age-old question:  “What do you want to be when you grow up?”  I am grateful to live in a time when professional evolution is an expected part of a career arc.  One of our administrators showed the music video below to our students for inspiration.  As an adult, the chorus of the song reminds me of the professional freedoms I am privileged to enjoy.

 
 
Nas “I Can” video
 

2.    Next, describe the kind of work that you want to do and the type of organization or institution in which you want to work. Use the WorkMatrixTM in the chapter titled “Getting a Job in Business and Industry” to help organize your thoughts. Do you most desire first, second, third, or fourth level service? Or would you rather design or develop instruction? What features of work are important to you? What economic sector do you want to work in?

Thankfully, the WorkMatrix™ reminded me that I am currently doing exactly what I want to do, where I want to do it and with the population that I feel called to serve. I feel most fulfilled in first level service delivering creative content to excited and capable students.  I get fulfillment from helping others learn and feel more capable.  I would struggle in a job where progress is hard to monitor.  I also need support and trust from my employers and from the population I am serving. I prefer working in public service, specifically, in public education.  I have worked in non-profits and private schools before.  What I quickly discovered is that every segment has its own unique set of struggles. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment